Canada’s biggest newspaper has warned Meghan Markle and Prince Harry that they are not welcome to live there as a ‘halfway house’.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced last week they plan to quit the royal family and split their time between Britain and North America in a move that has sent shock waves through the monarchy.
And with Harry likely to fly back to be with his wife and son Archie on Vancouver Island before the end of the week, the Globe and Mail have dealt them a sucker punch.
The scathing column, published on Monday, said Canada is not open to anyone “looking to get out of Britain while remaining a royal”.
While Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted over Christmas the pair were “always welcome” as they spent the festive period in Vancouver, the newspaper has said the government’s response should be a “simple and succinct: No”.
The Globe and Mail went on to describe the Sussexes’ plans to move as “vague and evolving” and “not something that Canada can allow”.
“But this country’s unique monarchy, and its delicate yet essential place in our constitutional system, means that a royal resident – the prince is sixth in the line of succession – is not something that Canada can allow. It breaks an unspoken constitutional taboo,” the article said.
And while the piece admitted Canadians like their own monarchy, with visits tending to “produce outpourings of public enthusiasm” no royals should “set up a home on the premises”.
Instead, they prefer members of the Canadian firm to keep at arm’s length and “reign from a distance”, adding: “Close to our hearts, far from our hearts.”
“Princes are not shipped over here when no useful duties can be found for them on the other side of the Atlantic,” it continued.
“Canada welcomes people of all faiths, nationalities and races, but if you’re a senior member of our Royal Family, this country cannot become your home.”
There has been much debate about how the Sussexes’ plan to become financially independent will work, particularly when it comes to personal security.
The editorial was adamant Canada’s issue with the move was not about “the feds having to find a few million extra bucks” to accommodate the couple.
But that Canadians are divided on the royal issue itself that reports the government has offered to pay for Meghan and Harry’s security, at a cost of millions a year has angered many citizens.
The duke and duchess were forced to remove a line from their new website claiming they are “internationally protected people” entitled to personal security wherever they go.
One of the key points of discussion at Monday’s crisis summit at Sandringham was Sussexes’ annual security bill, which is understood to be paid for by the taxpayer.
Launched last Wednesday, the rebellious duke and duchess’ new official website Sussexroyal.com contained the controversial phrasing about their entitlement.
But this was deleted in a matter of hours of it going live, reports the Mail Online.